Prince George's County is a place of immense historical and cultural significance, boasting a variety of landmarks that have been recognized for their importance in history, archeology, architecture, engineering, and the United States. From Bennett's Residue Riverdale to Greenbelt, the county is home to a plethora of sites that are worth exploring. Bennett's Residue Riverdale was the first hospital in Prince George's County, established in 1941. It was also the headquarters of the West Riverdale community. Greenbelt is unique among green cities because it was originally built with multi-story apartment buildings, while other communities used duplexes.
The county also recognizes the importance of mid-20th century architecture, from mail-order homes to gas stations and the first suburban shopping centers. In 1973 and 1975, a windshield study identified more than 550 properties in Prince George's County. One of these is the historic district of Fairmount Heights, which has been visited by many prominent African Americans over the past 40 years. It is also architecturally outstanding in a predominantly black community today, making it an integral part of the county's black history.
Riversdale is another noteworthy landmark in Prince George's County. It is one of Maryland's best five-part late Georgian houses and was constructed by Archibald Van Horn in 1803 on 40 acres inherited by his wife Alethea from her grandfather Joshua Beall. In 1807, de Stier returned to Europe and left his residence in Prince George's County to care for his daughter and son-in-law. The county's conservation program has been supported by the government with staff assistance provided through two sections of the Maryland National Capital Planning and Parks Commission.
North Brentwood is particularly important in the African-American history of Prince George County. It was also home to several notable African Americans who made significant political and social contributions to the city and county. Finally, St. Mary's Church is an essential center of religious activity in southern Prince George County. It was built by Archibald Van Horn before he left for Europe in 1807 and inspired one of his European homes.